Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Review: Cast In Stone (Guilty Pleasure Reading)

After much internet peer pressure, I finally decided to cave and try out what you crazy kids are calling "Paranormal Romance." I like fantasy novels, I like romantic subplots--who am I kidding? It was only a matter of time.

This week I read and devoured the book CAST IN STONE by Kerry A. Jones.

Now, first off, let me disclaim that this is not great literature and is one of those Strictly For Funsies kind of books. Full on, Guilty Pleasure reading.

It's well written, but some things could definitely have been better plotted. There are holes. When I recommend this book, it's because that's not the point. The point is that the main characters are hot, hot, hot, and it's fun to escape into this land and enjoy the ride!

Julen is a man trapped by a curse put upon him as punishment for crimes he may or may not have committed 700 years ago. The only way for the curse to be broken is for him to find a healer. Sophia is a modern day coffee shop owner with a family secret--she's a healer, but also the woman sworn to destroy those under the "punishment." And here's the best part--to heal him, Sophia must agree to the Mingling. Meaning, instead of killing him, she must make sweet, sweaty love to him in order to break the curse.

See? Doesn't this sound like fun already? :D

Oh, and did I mention that Julen is smoking hot (at least in my head?)

I admit that I chuckled when I read the plot synopsis on the back. However, when I read the exerpt on Amazon I noticed that there is not only witty repartee from the start, but a dangerous and sexy atmosphere full of tension, my credit card popped out of my wallet, and the rest is history.

This book was a quick, engaging read and had some of the most tastefully executed, steamy bedroom scenes I've ever read. Not once was there a hilarious euphemism for man parts (although I was waiting for it, because let's face it--we expect it, and it's funny.) Everything was tasteful, sexy, and just plain fun.

As one who's not usually into romance, I will be forced to buy the sequel because I have to know what happens. This book is a good stand alone, but there are more adventures on the way from Ms. Jones.

What summer books have you enjoyed so far?

Do you have any Guilty Pleasure reads?

3 comments:

lisa and laura said...

I try to alternate between one serious book and one guilty pleasure book. Just to...you know, keep things balanced.

Rebecca Knight said...

That's what I've started doing, too, and I'm loving it! :D

After I finished my ponderous science fiction book, I picked this little number up. I think I forget sometimes that reading is for "fun," and not just for expanding my horizons.

LOL!

Abby Annis said...

LOVE the new look of your blog! Very cool!