Boy howdy, I loves me some good ol' fashioned procrastination.
I'm so close to finally being done w/ my WIP, LEGACY OF THE EMPRESS, that I've found every way under the sun to avoid actually working on it.
Yes, I am one efficient lady that way ;).
To be truthful, I did start polishing on it again last night and tonight, but I've been riding the Procrastination Train to Lazyville for the past several days.
So, without further ado, let me share some things I picked up along the way!
Top 10 Ways to Stop Writing:
10) Look up quotes on writing from famous authors! After all, how can you write if you're not properly "inspired?" Sure, they all give advice on putting your butt in the chair, but maybe if you keep checking you'll find something really useful!
9) Watch the show CASTLE! It's like, reasearch and stuff, because Nathan Fillion is playing a thriller writer working with the cops! Ooh, do writers really get paid that much? Whoa, nice place, Castle. You renting that from Stephen King? Wait a minute, why does he get supermodels for his book signing photo shoot... does that really happen?
8) Watch reality TV! It's the perfect way to develop characters, right, guys? After all, it's like a socialogical experiment gone horribly wrong with every new show you view!
7) Read publishing blogs! Not only are you procrastinating, but you're doing it alongside other writers and industry professionals. Plus, it's educational! BONUS!
6) Read the backs of all the books you own! What better way to not write your query than by studying how to do it the way the professionals do? Spend time studying the way they hook the reader and summarize their story without giving too much away. Lather, rinse, repeat!
5) Log onto Twitter! Oh, heck, it's networking, platform building, and fun times all rolled into one. Plus, you'll be kept busy with all that refreshing :). It's like exercise for your fingers as you procrastinate! (Sure, you say, typing a novel would be much better finger exercise. SHHHH! We can't hear you while we're procrastinating!)
4) Watch Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog! And then fantasize about how your platform would be so much better if you only a) were blogging in a musical, b) were in the Evil League of Evil, c) were wearing cool goggles while you blogged.
3) Read a book! You KNOW you want to. You have a whole stack by your bed just calling out to you. New books, old favorites, books you started but never finished. Where to begin?!
2) Browse Amazon for more books to read! After all, #3 can be a continual loop if only you order back up books far enough in advance. Reading reviews is also a great way to waste, I mean spend, time.
1) Write a Top 10 List on how to procrastinate! Uh oh.... I'd better get back to work!
Do YOU have a favorite writing-avoidance method? ;)