Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Progress Update!

Hi, All,

I hope this evening finds you well! Yes, it's that time again--time for an update so I can show you that I'm not just a slacker, blogging away all of my writing time ;).

This week I've been going nuts on my revisions (in a good way), and feel like I've been accomplishing a lot. Have any of you ever noticed that when you add a new scene to beef up your story that it comes out about 10 times stronger than your "first draft" writing? What's up with that? I think it must have something to do with the fact that I know how the story goes, unlike when I was writing the rest. I know how it starts, ends, everyone's motivations, and most importantly exactly what I want to add to that part of the story.

I once read somewhere someone saying "I'm not a good writer, but I'm a great re-writer." I really feel that way this week, and it's encouraging. Also, it's encouraging that no one has to get it right the first time.

Here are some other great quotes to sum up my week:

"The waste basket is the writer's best friend." --Isaac Bashevis Singer

"The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal." --Elia Kazan

"Even the best writer has to erase." --Spanish proverb

"The role of a writer is not to say what we can all say, but what we are unable to say." --Anais Nin

Hooray for the DELETE key, that keeps us all grounded! Isn't it nice to know that all writers both strive for the same outcome that we do, and struggle along the way?

I've also been blessed with the challenge of critiquing other people's manuscripts, which is just a lot of fun, and a great way to procrastinate. All in all, I've been a busy gal, and loving every minute of it.

I'd love to hear from you guys what you're up to with any works in progress!

Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I recently edited 3 others first chapters. They were all great! They also critiqued mine and it was most helpful but god my grammer is in need of a refresher course! It makes me kinda sad cause English was always my strong point!

Anyways I have been slacking to use their tips which I need to do! I see so many people re-writing revisions I cannot help but get insprired to do the same! At least I'm not alone!
Great post I love reading good ones like this!

Abby Annis said...

I'm doing the same thing right now. At first, I just wanted to fix my major screwup (changing every inappropriate "her" back to "his") so I could it send to you, but I can't seem to look at it without changing other things along the way. This last time through has seen some major changes.

And I totally agree about going back and adding scenes later. It's always so much better.

Rebecca Knight said...

Thanks, Sara! Good luck on your stuff :D! It IS really nice to know that while we are struggling w/ rewrites... so are others. Rewriting loves company!

Abby--Haha, good to know it works that way for you, too. Don't you wish that everything came as easily as the new scenes?

But then again, where's the fun if things are too easy? ;)