Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Devil is in the Details: Writing the Perfect Ending

So, I'm hip deep in ideas on how to give my novel, LEGACY OF THE EMPRESS, that extra zazz-factor, and have been struggling with an obnoxiously elusive question: What makes an ending, well... satisfying?

I've gone over and over it, and now I want to ask you!

What do you think makes a GREAT ending? Are there any novels that literally made you squirm with joy after reading that last line? Cry? Burst into hives caused by too much goodness and best of all... zazz?

On the flip side, are there any novels that were amazing up until that very last chapter and then suddenly fizzled into a big pile of "eh"? I've been there. Two words: Hyperion Chronicles.
Don't let it happen to you, kids. Stop after the first half. Keep the memories alive.

So you tell me: what brings on the zazz?

No comments: