Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's Rantin' Time!

I'm not sure why, but I sort of hate the world today.

It's been a long, long week at work, and I'm feeling like having a bit of a rant to help lift some of the black clouds currently floating over my head.

Either that, or spread the doom clouds until they blot out the sun. BWAHAHAHAHA! *ahem* Sorry, about that..

So, our topic for today is going to be PET PEEVES. Everyone has them. That thing that people do that makes you just want to punch them in the throat.

A few of mine? Well! I'm so glad you asked!

*Disclaimer--if any of these apply to you, please note that you are the single exception :). Blog follower love!

Top 10 Pet Peeves:

1) People who mispronounce simple words! It's lib-rar-y, not LIBARRY, frustrated with an R and not FUSTRATED, and prob-ab-ly, not PROBALY! Seriously, people. It's not that hard.

2) Close talkers! What is up with those people who corner me at the water cooler and insist on talking in my face from a mere 3" away? Are they trying to read my mind by being closer? Are they trying to pick my pockets? Do they not realize that their coffee/cigarette breath is melting off my eyebrows?

3) The phrase "Well, at least you still have a job!" I think this is the new version of "Sounds like somebody's got a case of the MONDAYS!" Just..... stop it.

4) Office thermostats! When it's 90 degrees outside, it's inevitably 90 degrees inside, because the heat was left on from the previous day. Then, when I wear short sleeves to compensate for office hotness, it's 40 degrees outside, and 40 degrees inside because they fixed the previously problem and now the air conditioning is on a timer. A pox on you, office thermostats! Why must you mock me??

5) People who I've never seen before telling me their life story! Note: this does not apply to lovely, lovely internet people :). I love you all. This has to do with me standing in line to buy a soda at the grocery store, and having someone tell me all about their sister-in-law's tumor with the teeth growing out of it. OMG, have we met??? NO?? Then why are you telling me these things?!

6) The price of delicious, life-giving energy drinks! When I get mad, all I want to do is buy a Monster and get caffeinated like a crazy jungle monkey. However, energy drinks are always like $2.50. This enrages me further. I do not have exact change past 1.00! I carry plastic! PLASTIC!

7) Being mauled by boy scouts! In my town, it's Boy Scout Season, which means scouts are staking out the doors of every local establishment and pressuring me to buy cookies from them when I leave. Just let me get to my car, boy scouts! Why can't you go door to door like I used to when I was a kid? Then I can just pretend I'm not home. If I want your cookies, I will find you.

8) People who ask me how to spell something while sitting in front of a computer! Seriously, you can't just use spell check? Or google? Or dictionary.com? Nothing?? Sure, I could spell it for you, but it feels ... somehow... like you're just being lazy.

9) Red Lobster commercials! I recently became allergice to tasty, tasty shellfish, and now everytime All-You-Can-Eat-Shrimp comes on the TV, I feel like crying or else trying to dip random food into hot, melty, butter to compensate. It's just not the same...

10) Plumber's crack at work! Can you really not feel the draft, there, buddy? How about you, lady-bending-over-the-copier? Somehow, I don't think naked asscrack is an official part of the dress code.

I realized today while fuming over petty details of my everyday life that our characters probably do the same thing :). Do you guys give your characters pet peeves?

If so, what are they? If not, why not?

7 comments:

Rebecca Gomez said...

Okay, what's up with Boy Scouts cookies? Around here the boys sell popcorn and the girls sell cookies.

I should give my characters pet peeves. Maybe I'll pick a couple of yours since I can't think of more than two of my own right now.

Rebecca Knight said...

Ooh, maybe it is popcorn O_o. I've been dodging them for so long, I just don't know anymore!

SJDuvall said...

Oh number 5 is just creepy. Ew..

My biggest pet peeve is grammar mistakes that people should have learned in grade school. Sure, we all make occasional mistakes. But do you (not YOU, the symbolic you) really not understand the difference between then and than? Threw and through? Passed and past?

It hurts...it really does...

Abby Annis said...

I like the idea of giving my characters pet peeves. I'll have to think about that. :)

I totally feel your pain on the spelling thing. I've gotten calls from work on my day off to ask me how to spell something for an email or some other nonsense. Spell check people. Seriously. It's one little button. Isn't that easier than picking up the phone, dialing my number and wasting my time? I could rant about this all day, so I'll shut up now.

Hope the ranting helped and you're feeling better soon. :)

Angela said...

My pet peeves are the three p's...(not the p's in "pet peeves")...petty, pretentious, and prissy. I especially dislike prissy.

Tess said...

oh yeah... I know a few people who call Kindergarten, "Kiddy-garten".

drives me nuts.

Tere Kirkland said...

Our office thermostat hates me! It was freezing in here yesterday, and today it must be at least five degrees hotter, and it's barely cool at all in here.

What the hell? (said in my best Mike Judge voice. ;D)