Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Long Wait

I found this quote today while reading agent Rachelle Gardner's blog, and wanted to share it:





“This manuscript of yours that has just come back from another editor is a precious package. Don’t consider it rejected. Consider that you’ve addressed it ‘to the editor who can appreciate my work’ and it has simply come back stamped ‘Not at this address’. Just keep looking for the right address.” – Barbara Kingsolver



Easier said than done, Babs, but a good principle nonetheless.



It got me thinking about how we deal with the wait while we work to achieve our dreams?



Are we idiots for waiting? Why don[t we give up and do something smart like go to dental school?



I thought about the idea of being content with your life even if you aren't exactly where you want to be, and these Bible verses came to mind:



2Co 12:9 And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
2Co 12:10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.




That last line really grabs me, and I think it applies to all writers whether they're Christian or not--the principle is the same.



When we are tired of waiting, when we're weary of being rejected, when revisions are piling up and we don't think we can do it anymore... when we face these things that would overwhelm normal people and yet manage to keep the dream alive, aren't we strong?



I think we are :).



We have the power of our dreams behind us, and for me, I feel the power of having a purpose in my life pushing me forward, spurring me on. We know what we want, which is more than a lot of people can say! We know what we need to do to get it, and we know that it takes time. We are strong because we know we can never give up.



We're strong because we won't, not for any amount of money. How many people can say the same?



We're strong because we have each other. We all get it, and we know the journey is difficult, but oh, so worth it. We're strong because we support one another in communities like this!



So, I ask you: What makes you feel strong when you are weak?

9 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love this post! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration. When I feel weak, I pray. My favorite scripture is:

"Don't worry about anything. But in all your prayers, ask God for what you need, always asking with a thankful heart, and God's peace, which is far beyond human understanding, will keep your heart's and minds safe in union with Christ Jesus."

How can I NOT feel stronger after that? :-)

B.J. Anderson said...

Wow, that was just the post I needed right now. Thank you so much. :D My family makes me strong when I am weak. And so do my blog friends!! :D

lisa and laura said...

This is a lovely post, Becca. Honestly, my fellow writers have always made me feel strong when I am weak. On the days where we got 5 rejections and thought surely we'd never get an agent let alone a publisher, some kind soul would leave a comment on our blog that would make us smile and remind us that there were people out there who were reading (and enjoying!) our writing. God bless the blogosphere.

Crystal Escobar said...

What a great post, and very inspirational. I find that when I read old love letters from my husbad, or just nice emails or comments, really gives me a lot of strength, and builds me up when I'm feeling down or discouraged. Also, when I stop focusing on myself and try thinking of ways I can serve others really shifts my thinking and provides such strength and gives me a sense of fulfillment in which we are all searching for.

Bethany Wiggins said...

The strength I have discovered in myself through this writing journey is just a little truth. The truth that even if I am never published, the way I live my life and the influence for good I have on other people is what really matters.

And I am content with that.

Elana Johnson said...

Love this post!

For me, it's the realization that sometimes the only way to get through something is to GO THROUGH it. Not around. Or over. Or below. Just through.

And I've always survived. I can survive this too.

Candyland said...

My daughter thinks I am Superwoman. That I can do anything.

When I'm at my weakest, most fragile breaking point, she reminds me, in all her three years of earthly experience, that I am her hero.

One day she'll look back, and remember the mother who gave it her all, who told her she can be anything because Mommy is proof...

Ann said...

Aren't you the spoonful of sugar! After reading your post, it seems I have caught your bug! Thanks. Can always use a little spoonful of sugar.

Abby Annis said...

This is such a great post! Good things to remember.

I rely on my husband and my kids for strength. Somehow, they're blissfully unaware of my shortcomings. And I have amazing writer friends who always seem to know just what I need to hear. :)