Friday, October 16, 2009

Maybe the Publishing Industry Isn't So Doomed!

If you're like me, you probably get an icy tingle down your spine every time someone mentions that THIS IS THE END OF PUBLISHING AS WE KNOW IT and that BOOKS ARE DOOMED.

I like books. I like the publishing industry. I would like to get to know the publishing industry better, if only it would return my calls (j/k).

After all, it's only my life long ambition to make my living as a writer! :P I have a vested interest.

So, when I saw this Huffington Post article this week, it made me smile.

Finally, someone defending the publishing industry in an intelligent fashion!

Take a look, guys--I'd love to hear what you think.

Steve Ross, former CEO of Harper Collins, makes some great points about e-book pricing I hadn't considered. What's to be done? It sounds like there's a reason there's a debate going on over Amazon's low low $9.99 price point, aside from E-BOOKS SIGNALLING THE DESTRUCTION OF ALL MANKIND. It's actually quite fascinating. I'm excited to see what happens!

It's nice to read a more optimistic (and I think perhaps, realistic) view point once in a while :).

What do you guys think? Doomed? Or just trying to adjust?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Me, too. I am along for the ride. I don't see any sense in panicking about the state of publishing--after all, there's nothing we can do about it, and it might turn out awesome anyway.

Jo Treggiari said...

It's always scary when a traditional business model starts to crumble or change, but it usually makes way for something more vibrant and thrilling. I really believe it's a great time to be a writer and I'm excited to find out what's around the corner.

Amanda Bonilla said...

I understand the evolution of the e-book in the digital age. But nothing, and I mean nothing, can replace the smell of freshly printed paper and the cracking of the spine when you open a brand-new book. I would rather spend $30.00 on a hardback I can add to my bookshelf than $10 for something that will be gone the first time my computer crashes!

Badass Geek said...

The development of the printing press to finally mass produce books for the common man was such a huge moment in the world, and the popularity of printed books still in this highly technological age says a great deal for the future of the industry.

Some people may be switching to e-books, but a vast majority of us still find certain satisfaction in turning the pages ourselves.

Rebecca Gomez said...

Of course it's not doomed. Just trying to adjust. Like the Post Office (we all hope).

I can understand the appeal of e-books in some cases, but I happen to like my bookshelves. And I love to hold an actual book in my hand and flip the pages. Besides, a bound book won't malfunction or have to be rebooted or accidentally get erased. :-)

Stephanie said...

While I do love a good book, there is something about the draw of an electronic book reader and I so wish I had the cash to drop on one. But I don't think it's our generation that will be fully into it...it's the next generation...they've never lived without computers or the internet. Technology is everything to them. Look at MP3 players?? How many teens do you know that still buy cds?? I don't know many if any at all. They all download to their ipods. Books will be the same thing and if a cool electronic gadget gets more kids to want to read...I think that's great.

And just like everything else we keep stored on our computers...the important stuff will be backed up somewhere else....

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I think publishing is doing its best to adjust.

Time will tell where the tech revolution will take us.

Christine Fonseca said...

I totally agree with Beth and Kat. It'll be an interesting ride, I will say that much. Given the regular traffic at our local bookstore, I don't think traditional publishing will completely die. Just change.

Rebecca Knight said...

Doom is such a strong word, anyway ;).