Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Patience is a Real Bitch

Everyone knows the motto of publishing is "Hurry Up and Weight," but I'm finding lately that patience is something I'm still struggling with.

I'm impatient about how long it takes me to finish a project.  I'm impatient about keeping my day job.  I'm impatient about waiting the 48 hours for my short story to show up on Amazon...  It's ridiculous the things I'm impatient about!

Hell, I'm even impatient about how long it takes me to blog sometimes.  I want everything yesterday, but I know that to achieve my dreams, or even order my coffee, I must get better at waiting.

Just as I was pondering how to settle down and work on my patience, I received an email in my inbox from Freedomtomarry.org.  As some of you know, I'm very passionate about equality for the LGBT community, and try to help out fighting for the right to marry. 

The email showed an elderly male couple, and said the following: 

Richard and John ... just celebrated 61 years together as a couple, and they desperately want to marry in New York. After 61 years, haven't they waited long enough?

So here I am bitching about how long it's taking to achieve my dreams, and here is a sweet old couple who have waited 61 years for the right to marry and are still waiting today. 

It sort of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Even while we struggle with patience, there are those whose lives are constantly about waiting for the world to change for the better.

It's people like Richard and John that humble me and teach me patience by example. 

Here's there video if anyone is interested in spreading the word about this couple:  http://freedomtomarry.org/JohnRichard


My question to YOU is  How do you stay patient when chasing your dreams?

2 comments:

Christine Fonseca said...

And yes, patience is tough!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping put our "unbearable waiting" into perspective.