Friday, April 15, 2011

Weekend Reading: HOUSE OF SKIN by Kiana Davenport

Recently, I've been haunting author J. A. Konrath's blog, and I came across a lovely new author totally by accident.

Everyone needs to read this moving story about how she went from the absolute blackest depths of depression to starting a new writing career.  J. A. shared an email he received from her telling her story, and asked the readers of his blog to please purchase her collection of short stories, because, in his own words, she's a better writer than he is.

I took a $1.99 gamble on her, and let me tell you, that dude wasn't messing around.  I devoured the first two stories during my lunch break at work and they are both breathtakingly beautiful and chillingly sad.  They are the kind of stories that make your heart ache, but it's a sweet ache... the kind that makes you sit back in your chair and sigh after you read the last sentence.  I'm SO glad I picked this up.

This is not fluffy reading, but the stories are wonderfully crafted--absolutely gorgeous, lush language on every page.

If you pick up one book to support a writer for this weekend, please download Kiana Davenport's HOUSE OF SKIN.

Also, for those of you who don't have a Kindle, you can download a free Kindle app for your PC here, or download the free app for your iphone.

Happy Reading!

____

Note:  I'd love to start recommending great reads on a weekly basis, but I'd also be delighted to hear from you guys! :)  What books do you love to read?  Also, if you'd like to do a guest post recommending something, please email me at rebeccaknightbooks (at) gmail (dot) com.  Thanks!

No comments: